Altstadt Lager Fried Fish
- 1 Filet of Cod cut into roughly equal size pieces. (about 1″x1″x3″)
- Vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- salt to taste (~1 tsp fine salt)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- ~8oz Altstadt Lager (less for a thicker batter, more for thinner. (Ours is just enough to coat the back of a spoon)
- Make batter by combining all ingredients and whisking. Keep cool until use
- Once fish is cut to your liking, dry fish throughly with paper towel.
- Roll fish in dredge and shake off excess (just want a light coating) and rest fish on a rack or crinkled aluminum foil
- Heat oil to 375°F
- Dip fish in batter and place directly in hot oil
- Cook fish for 4-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place on rack. Salt and pepper immediately. Let sit for about one minute to let any excess oil drain and batter to crisp up.
- Serve while piping hot, atop a generous portion of fries, alongside your favorite Altstadt beer!